Saturday, February 20, 2010

If we have to list a cultural group in Asia that is especially particular about food, I would say Japan is definitely top of the list. Every minute detail about authentic Japanese food would not be overlooked as such we can see the efforts reflect in the pricing as well. However, the way people view pricing of Japanese food is very different (this is not my main topic of this blog).

In Singapore, if we were to pay high amounts for a plate of sushi, we would be expecting the chef to give us something that we would like to put into our mouth, regardless of what is needed.

“Hey waiter can I have more wasabi/soya sauce/ginger slices/ pickles etc please”

I bet you would hear this phrase quite often, right? However on the contrary, you would seldom hear this request in Japan, especially in restaurants as I have found out during my visit to Japan mid last year.

If you were to pay 4000yen for a plate of sushi, it would be because the chef feels that this is the rightful amount that you should pay in order to have a taste of this wonderful delicacy that he has create. The worst thing that you can do is to use the phrase as mentioned earlier.

I was in this Sushi ten along Tsukiji fish market mid last year. Personally I love eating sushi; however I would say my love for sushi is in a Singaporean manner. I love to eat my sushi with a heavy dose of wasabi and some slices of pickled ginger. What surprise me was there was no familiar wasabi container sitting on the table. There was only shoyu and chopsticks available.

I then asked

“Sumimasen, wasabi wa arimasu ka?” (excuse me, do you have wasabi?)

Almost instantly, the chef’s face changed. His puzzled facial expression showed a hint of anguish and that made me felt very uncomfortable. He then looked towards his colleague and said something which I couldn’t quite make out. To my horror, his colleague, after hearing what the chef had said, had the same anguished puzzled expression on his face!

The chef did not look willing, but he still got me a small dish of wasabi. He was very polite when he passed the dish to me and prompted me to enjoy my food. Still I could not help but to wonder why he had that strange look on his face.

Subsequently I took up a Japanese module when school reopened –“Introduction to Japanese studies”. I got to know one Japanese friend during the module. It was only after conversing with him about the incident that I realize that, requesting the chef to make “changes” to this food or in my case, I requested to add more wasabi, is suggesting that his culinary skills are not up to my expectation. Apparently the chef was offended in some way but probably because I’m not local, he still went on and provided the dish of wasabi in a polite manner.

Well, I believe that how a person handles inter-cultural difference is a very important aspect especially in this culturally diversified world. What I would suggest is if ever you know you are going to meet someone from another country or cultural group, please do some background studies first to avoid situations like mine. It could be a potential loss of business!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Alex,

    Thanks for sharing your experience with the itamae (sushi chef) in Japan. This incident clearly highlighted the importance of understanding the dinning etiquette (or rather sushi etiquette) in Japan, and other countries for that matter, in order to ensure that awkward incidents like the above do not happen.

    For me, this mantra has helped me on numerous occasions - when in doubt, do like the locals do =)

    Appreciate the sharing, Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,

    It's interesting to know that the Japanese chefs are particular about how you eat their food as well (unlike most casual or some expensive dining places in Singapore where it doesn't matter what you want to add to what you eat). Why I thought it was interesting is because I thought that only existed in Europe or America. While on holiday in those two places, there were occasions I ordered dishes that were either tasteless (only to me perhaps) or tasted weird. In such situations, I would usually ask for chilli sauce or add doses of pepper or something! These gestures can actually be of quite an insult to the chefs as it's an outright claim that their food do not taste good. I guess this bad habit of adding condiments to food is something quite Singaporean since we are pretty much quite spoilt for choices when it comes to condiments (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex,

    I agree with you that understanding inter-cultural differences is an important asset to have in today’s society. As the society becomes increasingly diversified, more effective communication between people of different nationalities and culture is essential. Perhaps the only way to do so is to be free from bias when dealing with people from different cultures as well as be more respectful and self-conscious of our behavior towards them. This is because not everyone thinks the same way as you do due to different cultures and background. I believe that as long as one makes an effort in recognizing inter cultural differences, many unnecessary misunderstandings will be minimized and that an efficient working environment as well as good interpersonal relationship can be forged. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alex,

    Yes this was definitely a real eye opener for you! The Japanese are indeed very particular when it comes to food. Not only in terms of the quality of the flavour but presentation as well.

    I have had a similar experience in France, where I made a big mistake in asking for ketchup and chilli sauce to go along with my beef steak. The chef was obviously really frustrated and I think I was close enough to being chased out of the restaurant. Indeed the Japanese and European countries take real pride in their food, and it will be a great insult to them if we were to ask for extra sauce to add "extra" flavour to the food, when it is already supposed to taste really good.

    This whole episode indeed re-emphasizes the importance of knowing the culture of the country that we are visiting in order to avoid any misunderstandings. It may be perfectly fine to ask for chilli sauce to go with our meals in Singapore, but it may not be so in other countries.

    Cheers,

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely an interesting experience. As someone who always makes alteration to my food, this is definitely an eye-opener. I guessed we are all too used to the way we have our food in Singapore that it became a habit. To me, I feel that since I am the person who is going to eat the food, hence anything I add doesn’t really concern anyone else. However, now I realized that I am wrong. There’s the chef’s feeling involved.

    Thanks for sharing!

    xoxo,
    Student A

    ReplyDelete